Sunday, July 8, 2012

A sprinkle of Irish News and Super Rugby

Connacht spread the word (picture http://bit.ly/NRkVLK0

Not much Irish news as far I can see, except that Leinster will be taking on Ireland in a 20/20 match of cricket ( 27th July, 2.30) – sounds excellent! I met Irish captain Trent Johnson the other day and he’s a big tall strong lad – would have made a pretty fearsome rugby player I’d say. I’m not expecting too much blocking from Leinster… Also I see Connacht  did a bit PR around the great platform of the Volvo Ocean Race, with an open skills session and some touch rugby.

Super Rugby

I didn’t get to see the Sharks/Bulls match, as a barbeque, my son’s cricket and mowing the lawn conspired against me. But they did OK without me, a bonus point win against the Bulls is none too shabby. The top of the Table is quite SA heavy at the moment, with the Stormers inching towards the top, and the Bulls and the Sharks in the last two play off spots.

The matches I did watch were the Crusaders/Chiefs match, where a lack of composure and a brutal line out saw the Chiefs hand a win to the Crusaders. It was a good game though, very skilled, high tempo and passionate.  I also saw the Highlanders/Reds game, where again a nervy Highlanders team ran themselves into the ground, made errors at key moments, and lost a match they had the winning of. The Reds look great in fits and starts, but don’t seem to able to maintain their concentration. Ben Smith is the stand out player for the Highlanders.
Super Rugby
Saturday , July 7
Blues 32 - 9 Western Force 
Waratahs 15 - 19 Brumbies 
Cheetahs 6 - 13 Stormers 
Lions 37 - 32 Melbourne Rebels 
Friday , July 6
Chiefs 21 - 28 Crusaders 
Reds 19 - 13 Highlanders 
Sharks 32 - 10 Bulls 

1 comment:

  1. Hi, my name is Michael Brophy, sports editor for a new website- theblend.ie . Originally founded as a student website in Ireland last year, we have decided to branch out to include outside contributors in order to boost the quality and quantity of our content. I came across your rugby blog one day and was struck by your in depth knowledge of the sport. I would like to ask you if you are interested in writing for the sports section of our website. We are currently looking for contributors and, having a writer with a passion for rugby would add an extra dimension to the website. If interested or if you have any other queries, please e-mail me at michaelbrophy@theblend.ie

    Best Regards
    Michael Brophy

    ReplyDelete