Thursday, October 14, 2010

Honesty from coaches and preview of this weekend’s Heineken Cup Action

Honesty from coaches

I was reading interviews with Toby Booth of London Irish and Sean Holley of the Ospreys the other week where they were praising the other teams in the pool and it seems that talking up the opposition is now as much a part of the pre match ritual for a coach as video analysis and bribing the ref (just joking). How about a bit of good old fashioned honesty from a coach?

 ‘When I saw the draw for the Heineken Cup pools I laughed at my good fortune when I saw who would be propping up the bottom of our pool. I laughed so hard that the tears were still running down my face when all my friends started to phone me to congratulate me on the easy draw. Even the dogs on the street know you are rubbish, even my wife who never watches rugby said you were hopeless.

Your team is equally composed of no hoper journeyman who will permanently remain on the dole after their final injury, has-beens still under the illusion they are the best thing since sliced bread, and a host of foreign ‘stars’ who haven’t bothered to learn the language, play as if they are working to rule, and are manifestly overpaid and underperforming (more overpaid and underperforming than our overpaid and underperforming foreign stars that is).

 If we don’t get a maximum ten points out of your team I’ll feel like my whole career as a coach has been a failure.’


Heineken Cup Preview

Week two of the competition and the action should really get going on Friday as the Ospreys host London Irish. Both sides are bursting with talent, I support Irish but I reckon the Ospreys are going to want to prove a point here so I’m backing them to win. Racing and Clermont should be really good to watch as well, going with Clermont there as Racing look to have some ongoing fly half issues.

In the Amlin Challenge Cup, the match of the weeknd for me is going to be Leeds against Stade Francaise - come on Leeds, show us what you're made of!

Irish Action

This is going to be a feast…

Munster – Toulon Munster are surely going to bounce back – French teams are notoriously iffy on the road, and Munster are just showing some signs of form. Really looking forward to seeing David Wallace in action again, centre is going to be a bit of an issue for Munster with suspensions, but Munster to win, especially if Wilkinson is rested.

Saracens – Leinster – Oh yeaah! Wembley stadium is the setting as Leinster take on the pride of South Africa (have to call a spade a spade!). Saracens got a spanking at Clermont last week, and Leinster 5 points against Racing. This is a mouth watering prospect. Leinster are going to have withstand a beefy onslaught from Sarries, and then give the backs their head as the game progresses. If the game breaks up at all Leinster are going to get this, it’s going to be one hell of a match. I’m backing Leinster.

Biarritz v Ulster It keeps on getting better, this should be an awesome match as well. Beating Biarritz away is a tall order, but Ulster have been playing really well and their new stars are well bedded in by now. I don’t think Ulster are going to win, but I think they’ll be coming home with something, and could give Biarritz a big fright.

Connacht v Bayonne Connacht are going to want to bounce back after last weekend’s disappointment and my feeling is that the French are going to feel the wrath of a green backlash – Connacht to win.

Irish on the Telly

SAT OCT 16

Munster v Toulon, HC, SS1, 15:30

SARACENS v LEINSTER, HC, SS1, 17:45

Shark Bite

Semi’s time in the Currie Cup and the Sharks are going to take on the Bulls. Gulp. With all their Boks back the Bulls are formidable. But home advantage for the Sharks and a bit of belief this season is going to see them home, in my humble opinion. In the other semi, Province should account for the Cheetahs.

No comments:

Post a Comment